"Charity Never Faileth"

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Beautiful Nauvoo, April 18, 2012, Second Email letter from Nauvoo

Oh, our sweet Heather.  Having her as a missionary is more glorious than we could have ever imagined!  How great to get these weekly email letters.  Thank you for your support and love.  Blaine and Nikki

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Heather Ripplinger <heather.ripplinger@myldsmail.net>
To: Nikki Ripplinger <bnripp@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:11 AM
Subject: The Beautiful Place- Nauvoo

Dear Family and Friends,
 
This week has been absolutely AMAZING. Sometimes when I am kneeling down by my bed at night, I stop in the middle of my prayer and realize that I am endowed, set apart missionary. Words simply cannot explain the joy in my heart to know that I am FINALLY a full time missionary. I am living my dream. Every day I see that Heavenly Father has been preparing me for a long time to serve here in Nauvoo.
Without the Holy Ghost, we would not be able to do everything in Nauvoo. There are several displays in the Visitor's Center with history that we need to know to take tours. Each week, we are assigned to two different historical sites in town. Each site has a 10-15 minute tour or demonstration. This week, I served in the visitor's center on Monday and the Print Shop on Tuesday. When I looked at the outline for the Print Shop, I dropped to my knees. I said, "Ohhhhh wow. I'm going to need a lot of help, Heavenly Father." There was a very detailed process of how to give a demonstration, packed full of terms that I had never even heard of before and tools that I didn't even know existed. I have never been a very engineer/constructing minded person, so I knew this would be difficult.

Before even starting to study the outline, I knelt down in prayer for 30 minutes and explained to Heavenly Father that I have the faith that He can help me learn the material, but that I needed the Spirit to help me learn it so I can be effective. I started studying and spent a reasonable amount of time over the next day. Tuesday morning, I arrived in the Print Shop and the senior sister gave me ONE demonstration of how to do everything. Somehow, obviously through the Spirit, it ALL made sense. I asked if I could try and give a demo for her and I was able to do EVERYTHING and remember all of the facts and details inbetween. MIRACLES HAPPEN when we have faith and do the preparation necessary.
Not even 10 minutes after that, groups started coming in and we were busy all day. In the afternoon, we had a huge bus of "senior tourists" come in. There were several groups coming in all afternoon and none of them were members. They were in and out so quickly and openly said that they did not want any church information. But I kept on praying in my heart as I gave the demonstrations that someone would come in that had an open heart. About an hour before we closed the shop, suddenly, the groups stopped filing in. It slowed down dramatically and noticably. I felt the Spirit really strongly as two men entered the door.

Immediately, I noticed the one named Henry. "He's the one," I thought. They wanted to see the demo that people were talking about and as I did so, I asked if either of them had seen the temple. The other man spoke up and said, "Oh ya! Henry, do you know who the woman on top of the temple is?" I chuckled, "WOMAN?! It's a man!" From there, I explained who Moroni was and that he was the last to write in the Book of Mormon. I asked if either of them had read the Book of Mormon, and Henry's eyes lit up. "What is that book?" I smiled as I picked up a Book of Mormon and started explaining that it talks about when Christ came to the Americas. He said with a surprised look, "He came to America?" I explained and opened to 3 Nephi 11.

As I read, I could feel the Spirit very strongly.  I kept looking up at him as I went and I knew he could feel it to. I testified that I know the book is true and that he can know it is, as well. I explained Moroni's promise and asked if he would like to take the Book of Mormon with him. He anxiously agreed. About 20 minutes after he left, I looked out the window while Sister Christianson was giving a demonstration, and saw Henry. He was standing out by their tour bus with the Book of Mormon open and he was reading it intently. Golden. Suddenly, I wished I had a temple pamphlet because we had talked about the Nauvoo Temple a little bit, but they don't have those in the site. HOWEVER, I suddenly recalled something  I had done earlier that day. After training in the visitor's center that morning, on the way out the door, I felt like I should grab a temple pamphlet. Without much thought, I did so. Now, here I was in the Print Shop, with Henry across the street, wishing I had a temple pamphlet.

I ran over to my bag and pulled out that beautiful, shining temple pamphlet. "Ah! I LOVE the Holy ghost!!! Thank you, Heavenly Father!" My companion stood at the door and watched me as  I ran across the street and gave him the precious info of temples. As the group of tourists started climbing up into the bus, I looked out the window again and saw him standing with a bunch of the men talking, and he had the Book of Mormon clenched in one hand against his chest. He held it like it were a wallet filled with a million dollars-or I suppose that he held it like the sacred knowledge that it is. That experience was precious to me. I put forth the effort of preparation and sincerely asked Heavenly Father to let me find someone that was ready to listen. The Lord delivered him into my hands-into the Print Shop.
While in the Visitor's Center on Monday, I had several other miraculous experiences like the one with Henry. In my mind, I figured that I would be taking lots of members on tours and asking for referrals. HOWEVER, such was NOT the case. Within an hour of opening that morning, Sister Umphenour had a very deep conversation with a non-member woman that wandered in, not knowing why she was there. She felt the Spirit and left with several pamphlets and information.

I had the opportunity to take 50 something year old couple that had just been married in the Nauvoo Temple.  I took them on a tour through the Women's Garden and I just loved it!!! Shortly after that, a group of 3 Chinese women came in, all non members. I felt prompted to take them in the theater to watch a specific Mormon Message. So I took the three of them into the huge theater that usually plays the Joseph Smith movie or Remembering Nauvoo. I pulled up the "Moments that Matter Most" clip and watched their expressions. After, I asked them what moments in their life matter most to them. One woman looked at me like she was flabbergasted. "I honestly have no idea. I have never even thought about that!!! I don't know what to say."

I could see a film of her life playing in her head. She asked me what a moment is of mine. I smiled and replied, "Every night, my mom would come in my bedroom to tuck me in and would say, "Snug...as a bug...in a rug". They all giggled, but I saw them seriously think about it. They started asking if my parents were still married and how long they had been married. We started talking about temples and then they asked what it was that they were feeling. They felt the Holy Ghost. =) I took them out to the statue of Joseph Smith and the First Vision and was able to give his account of the Sacred Grove (for the first time to REAL people!!!) They started tearing up and  I felt the Spirit like thunder in my heart.
I. LOVE. being a missionary. When I was set apart, I received the authority to teach the Gospel. Because I am obedient, I have power to teach. Because I am worthy and willing, Heavenly Father allows people to feel the Spirit. I know that the Spirit converts people and teaches. Heavenly Father brings them to Nauvoo PREPARED. Every day, my testimony grows stronger of Heavenly Father's perfect plan for us. My experience with learning the demonstration and info in the Print Shop was powerful for me. I rely heavily upon the Spirit to help me learn everything and be able to use that knowledge. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father is allowing me to be a missionary. I am so happy and ready to work.
Sister Coyne is awesome. She is so humble, kind, and full of experience. She had a rough time in Montana, but she has a strong testimony and we've had many tender experiences together. All the I wanted in a trainer was someone that would love me. She teaches me so much every day, just in our companionship study, time that we exercise, and in the evening as we pillow talk. I really don't see her a lot during the day because we are in different sites, etc. I love having her as my companion and this transfer will actually be the longest of the summer, so I'm really excited to have her.
I know that Heavenly Father hears our prayers. They do not stop at the ceiling. Heavenly Father will answer them when the time is right and in the way that He knows we truly need. He is perfect and He knows us perfectly. My relationship with Him is growing so strong, as I rely-every minute of every day- on Him to help me find my brothers and sisters that are prepared to receive the Gospel. I know that he is aware of me. And I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. He is your Savior. He is the Redeemer of all mankind. He loves us and is waiting with open arms for us to finally realize that He can make our burdens light-not matter what we are going through. I know that with all of my heart. He has made me capable of learning all of the history, the outline, the gospel lessons, and everything else that I am required to do as a missionary. But the load is light because of Christ. Let Him be part of your life. When you completely trust Him, you will experience joy greater than you can comprehend.
 
Thank you so much for your love and support. I find so much strength from the people that I love back home. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven!!!!!!
 
Love,
Sister Heather Ripp
 
P.S. I included some pictures from my mission, thus far. Most are from the MTC and include my district and zone. The last few are traveling to Nauvoo and in Nauvoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment