"Charity Never Faileth"

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sister Ripplinger's First Letter from Nauvoo, April 6, 2012

Dear friends and family,
 
I am now a full blown Nauvoo sister missionary and I am LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!!!
When the MTC bus driver dropped us off at the Salt Lake Airport, he set loose a bunch of missionaries that were more than thrilled to be out in the real world. We went through security and quickly made friends with a small little family that was on their way to a wedding. The dad is was a returned missionary and seemed excited to see so many missionaries flying out. We talked to them for a few minutes and then we loaded onto the plane. Keep in mind that this same man was sitting about 2 rows behind all of us. I was sitting next to Sister Umphenour, and two sisters were sitting in the row next to us. Behind us, Sister Brown and Sister Zabetti were split, however. Within a few minutes, there were two gospel related conversations going on.

Sister Brown was right behind us and we could hear bits and pieces of the conversation. He started asking about the Book of Mormon and she was reading some of her favorite chapters to him. Sister Umphenour and I squealed with joy. We scooted close together and whispered a prayer, asking that this man would be able to feel the Spirit as Sister Brown talked to him. Over and across from us, Sister Zabetti was having a similar situation. She was talking about prayer and started teaching him about the origin of the Book of Mormon. So you can imagine that I was absolutely DYING to help. I whipped out my bag, which was packed full of pass-along cards, copies of the Book of Mormon, lesson pamphlets, and all. I had two different kinds of cards-one had the Savior in the America's picture on the front, and the other had a picture of a family.I said a quick prayer and decided which person needed which card. Without too much more thought, I waited until the men weren't looking and slipped a pass along card to both sisters...hahahaha (Keep in mind that the RM dad we met earlier was watching all of this from behind.) These two sisters talked about the gospel for two hours, as they continued to be asked questions. By the time they exited the plane, both had a pass-along card and I knew they had felt the Spirit. In the meantime, the other sisters had been teaching as well.
So I get off that plane, and I am fired up and ready to go. We were standing outside the restroom waiting and I started looking around the airport. There was a black man sitting next to his luggage. I said a quick prayer in my heart to know what I could say to him. I felt the Spirit prompt "families". My heart started pounding and I made a few awkward circles to the water fountain and back to my companion and back to the water fountain and back to my companion as I contemplated in my mind what in the world I was going to say when I walked over.

Before I knew what I was doing, I was sitting down by the man. I looked down and saw that he was holding a picture of his family. I started talking to him and asked about his family. I noticed that the sisters were ready to get going. I told him that his family could be together forever and gave him the pass along card with a picture of a family on it. He asked me if we had a church in Georgia because he wanted to know more. I told him about mormon.org and gave a few other details, then said I had to get going. He then asked me why I had come over and told him about families. I responded that I simply felt like he needed to hear what we believed about families and he said, "Thank you for doing that. I have actually been wondering why God would let my family end with death because I love them so much-it didn't seem right. I will find your church in my city and go."

I felt that rush of the Spirit. The Holy Ghost had simply told me to talk to him about families because Heavenly Father does have a perfect knowledge of each of us. That man needed to know that his family can be together forever if they are sealed in the temple and keep the promises that they make with Heavenly Father.
Shortly after, I met President Gilliland and his wife. I already love them. We picked up all of the missionaries that flew into St. Louis, loaded up a trailer with all of our luggage, and then went to dinner at the Golden Corral. Talk about spoiled missionaries. Considering the fact that I ate a banana for breakfast, air plane peanuts for lunch, and was eating dinner at 6:00 pm, I was one hungry lady. President Gilliland made a comment after the fourth plate was finished. :D haha I noticed one family that was in the same area as us kept watching us closely. While we were eating, they sang happy to birthday to one of the daughters. Toward the time that we were about to get going, I made my way over and asked who's birthday it was. The family seemed surprised that I was asking about birthdays and not preaching the Lord's Prayer or something. hahaha

The dad looked at me and asked, "Wait, Nun's can talk about things other than God?!" hahaha I started laughing and asked if he thought nuns were allowed to wear colors (I had a green cardigan on, and he said, "So are you a bad nun?" We all started laughing and the rest of his family seemed to open right up. Their daughter wanted to eat there for her 18th birthday, I asked if she was going to prom, etc. The dad still seemed shocked, "Did YOU go to prom in high school????" I started laughing and said I had. I took that opportunity to explain who I was and why I was serving a mission. They also received a pass along card as I had to leave. hahaha It makes me laugh to see how different people first view me as a missionary. I guess I'm just not a certified nun.
Since arriving in Nauvoo, we were able to go on a wagon ride and see the little town. We went to the temple with all 17 of us, sisters, and President and Sister Gilliland. The Nauvoo Temple is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I received some pretty neat promptings from the Spirit while in the temple and everytime I go in the Celestial room of the temple, I am reminded how close to heaven we really are. I am reminded how grateful I am to be worthy to receive guidance from the Holy Ghost and also know that my own family can be together forever.
All the sisters live in one big house. So imagine 17 sister missionaries in one big house, four fridges, and cookies being delivered frequently from the senior couples. Oh yes, it is indeed a heaven on earth. The temple is a five minute walk from us, the fields and trees are green, the sunsets are beautiful, and I am set apart as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I truly am living my dream. I've got a dream... I 've got a dream.... =)
While in the temple, before being assigned a companion, I had a little conversation with Heavenly Father. I told Him what I (humbly) thought my strengths were and included full of faith, confident, motivated, and loving. I told Him that I wanted Him to help me grow and also be a good companion- I wanted to build someone up. I received the answer that Sister Coyne would be my companion. So that night at our meeting, President says, "Sister Ripplinger...and Sister Coyne."

In the morning, during companionship study, she started opening up about her outbound mission. She said, that unlike all of the other sisters who were returning to Nauvoo from outbound missions, that she had seen no baptisms and had gone through several difficult trials. She had kind of lost the fire, but she really wanted to get motivated again. We took that opportunity to set goals together. I asked her what I could do to help her and she responded, "I  want to gain more faith, I want to be more confident and able to talk to people with the Spirit, and I want to learn how to really love the people I teach."

I almost wanted to cry because I remembered what I had told the Lord my strengths were. EXACTLY what she said she wanted to gain. She told me, "While I was in my outbound in Montana, I was praying for months that I could have a good companion to train in Nauvoo. I needed someone to get me fired up again. You are an answer to my prayers, Sister Ripplinger."  And I wanted a trainer that would love and be able to teach me how to do everything I need to as a missionary in Nauvoo.

During our very first companionship study, we discovered that we were an answer to each other's prayers. We set goals together and I am so excited to be with her. She has so many strengths and she does so many things for me. This morning, I stumbled out of bed into the shower and came back to find two gifts sitting on my bed with a nice note from Sister Coyne. We had fun going through Wal-mart today and having many people stop us and ask if we were Mormon girls.

I'm loving all of the funny assumptions, the awkward avoidance situations when people completely change their route so they don't have to stand next to us in line, and all of the tender mercies where I can share the Gospel. We will soon receive our site assignments and I am totally ready to get going. I'm in the process of learning all 26 scripts with historical facts, memorizing four mission recitations, among other things. =) I feel the Holy Ghost burning like a fire inside of me as  I learn and prepare for the people that will come to Nauvoo. I love it here and I'm loving my life long dream. I am a MISSIONARY!!!!!!!!!! The Savior is by me every step of the way and He truly does have the power to make my burdens light. He is my best friend. I invite all of you to come to know Him more perfectly and let Him make your burdens light. He can do that if you will let Him. =)
 
I am so grateful for my friends and family! You are all wonderful!
Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger

No comments:

Post a Comment