"Charity Never Faileth"

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sister Rippinger's Weekly Letter, July 12, 2012


 My dear friends and family,
 
I LOVE NAUVOO!!!!!!!!!!
 
The Nauvoo Pageant started this week and I feel like the pageant grounds are on fire with the Spirit. I LOVE being a missionary here!!!! There is a little pizza shop downtown that we like to go eat at. The owner gives missionaries a really good deal on pizza AND he even changes the music overheard while we are there. It changes from the modern, popular stuff to hymn arrangements. =) haha It makes me smile and I appreciate so much this man's effort to make us feel welcome. It's so cute!!!!
 
Little moments that make me laugh.... the performing elders sometimes leave their bags in the room where the sisters have training meetings. They squirm and blush as they wiggle past all of us to grab their bags. We all giggle as they squirm around. haha! Also, the other night, a few of us sisters were in my bedroom and we were taking funny picture on the bunkbed. I set the timer, darted as quickly as I could onto the top bunk, bounced right as the camera flashed, and went flying off the bed. Sister Cloward and Umphenour grabbed my legs just in time. So there we were- me hanging upside down, them holding onto my legs, and all of us laughing hysterically. Oh....life is sooo good!!!! =) This morning while Sister Umphenour and I were on the temple grounds, waiting for the other sisters to come out of the temple, we were sitting on a little bench in the shade by the flowers. Suddenly, the sprinklers came on. We were both out of there quicker than you can blink. There were people laughing at us as we high fived with big grins at our quick escape from getting sopping wet.
 
Miracles are happening all over the place and I am just so incredibly grateful for all of the wonderful experiences we are having. I love Sister Umphenour sooooo much and I am just treasuring up these moments. She motivates me to work harder than I know how to and I feel like I have a bright sunshine standing at my side when we talk with people. She is strength and she has power.
 
A few weeks ago, I had contacted a man named Don at the temple grounds. The missionaries in his area had followed up and then changed his online status to being dropped! I was shocked because he seemed so interested, so I gave him a phone call. I introduced myself and asked if he remembered me. He was very cordial and excited to talk, which surprised me. I asked if the missionaries had visited him and he said they had, but didn't come back again. His wife just had back surgery and he's been taking care of her. He was so friendly and nice, just like when I met him! I've been following up with him since, and things are going well. They are going to try and make it here for Pageant!
 
My dear friend, Linda, that I mentioned in my email last week, has been doing really well. I met her at the BYU Living Legends program when we were greeting. I called her on Friday and she seemed shocked to hear my voice. She said that their phone had been down for the last 24 hours, no one had come to repair it, and no calls had come through recently. She was surprised to hear the phone ring, picked it up, and when she realized it was me, said, "You must have a connection with God!!!" =) That little experience made me really happy.
 
I called one of the young ladies in Cameroon, Africa named Lea. (Laeticia, the girl that was studying in Utah for a few months, had referred several of her friends back home, and I've been working with three of the girls she referred). Teaching over the phone is somewhat difficult when it is with someone in Africa! haha Lea has a thick accent and there is a lot of static on the phone. HOWEVER, I absolutely LOVE this time with her. I'll keep you posted on more updates! =)
 
The Visitor's Center is getting more and more busy! I noticed a family walking around and felt like I should go over and talk to them. I had a temple pamphlet in hand. When the mom (Punam is her name) saw the picture of the temple in my hand, she gasped and asked if she could see the pamphlet. I taught a little about the temple and asked if she would like to know more. She said that she did and she also wanted to learn more about Joseph Smith. She wrote down her info!!! She was a very sweet lady and I could tell that they were a good family. They had beautiful, dark skin and I'm excited to see how things go with them. =)
 
I was standing by one of the entrances and a mom (Lori) and daughter came right over to me. Lori said, "We just HAVE to tell you something. My husband is not a member of the Church and he has been sitting by us talking about how much you "glow". And by the way, we LOVE your dress!!" We giggled and I asked more about her husband. He has met with several sets of missionaries, but always backs out when they get to the Word of Wisdom because they put pressure on him and say things that make him mad. Right then, he walked over toward us. I was excited to talk with him and I noticed tht he had cowoy boots on. Normally, I don't ask questions like this, but the first thing I asked was, "HEY!!! Do you like horses?!?!" He got a HUGE grin on his face and we started talking horse talk. He trained them when he was a young guy and LOVES running through the fields. Oh man, did we have things in common! =) We talked for a few minutes and they had to go into the theater for one of the shows, so I watched for them afterwards. They came out looking for me, which I was grateful for. We went down by the Christus statue and he said, "Hey! How did you know this is my favorite spot?!" We sat down and started talking about the temple. I didn't say much and he blurted out that he met ONE missionary in his whole time of meeting with missionaries that he thought could convert him and that he needed another one like that. I started asking questions and listening as he explained that this elder he had met only one, was on splits and came to their home. The Spirit that he brought was so strong that Richard thought it was the Savior, Himself. That comment gave me the chills. That missionary was so strong and pure that Richard recognized him as a represenative of Jesus Christ. Richard went on to explain how judgemental the ward members are of him, how unwelcome he feels, and how the missionaries in the past have said all the wrong things to make him retreat and defend himself. As I tried to understand him, I began to understand where he was coming from. His wife and two children were crying and I could feel the Spirit burning. At this point, I needed to leave for my next shift. I had hardly mentioned that I needed to get going, when he stood up and asked, "Wait, Sister! I need to know how to get hold of you again. You are the missionary that I've been waitin for all these years." I felt like the Spirit vibrated in my soul at that moment- the Spirit was so strong!!!! I got their contact information and I am so incredibly excited to follow up with this family. Lori gave me a great big hug while the others went to use the restroom and she just held onto me. She said, "Thank you. No one has ever done that before. He's never opened up like that before- EVER!!!" I felt a deep spiritual connection with their family. I love them!!!!  
 
I also had the opportunity to talk with Linda's husband. I was starting to feel a little concerned that I hadn't spoken with him at all, after developing such a good friendship with Linda. One morning when I called, Linda was asleep and I was able to talk with John for about 40 minutes. We had a great conversation and he recognizes how important families are in our church. They are both so precious and sweet. They are making progress and their faith is increasing!!!!!
 
There are several other little miracles that have been happening and I am sooooo grateful. I love Sister Dalton's talk from the General Young Women broadcast about sparkling like the crystals in the temple lights. The light shines on the crystals, and the crystals let the light shine through. As a missionary, I just make sure I am pure and clean, and then Christ's light can shine on everyone in the room. The Spirit touches the hearts of those people we talk with and helps them feel of the Savior's love, as well as the love of our Father in Heaven. We are a small part of their eternal conversion process and I see everyday that Heavenly Father has a plan for each and everyone of his children. I love being a missionary. SO. much. I love Sister Umphenour. I love Nauvoo. I love the temple. I love the Nauvoo Pageant and I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love my Father in Heaven and my Savior. I love my family. Men are that they might have joy...says the Book of Mormon! =)
 
I love all of you for your love and support. I truly am grateful for you. Let's build up the KINGDOM OF GOD!!!!!
 
Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger
 

No comments:

Post a Comment