"Charity Never Faileth"

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sister Ripplinger's Weekly Email Letter, October 15, 2012

My dear friends and family,

I LOVE CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!! This week has been AMAZING!!!!!!!

I was placed in a trio for the time being and transfers are next week.
I think I have been with the best two sister missionaries in
California. Sister Rupp and Sister Mitchell are AMAZING!!!! They are
easy going, mellow, hardworking, and diligent missionaries. I LOVE
THEM!!!!!! I feel so incredibly blessed to be with them. I know
they've been working really hard in this area. The people here are SO
humble. I've met several of the ward members and investigators and I
LOVE them soooo much already!!!!!

My first day in California, I was assigned with these two sisters and
we went right to work. I didn't unpack my things for a few days and I
still haven't been to the grocery store! I LOVE the fact that there is
so much work here!!!!!! In the last two years, they've had 20
baptisms. I feel like there is a lot to do and I know that people are
being prepared.

One investigator has been meeting with missionaries for a LONG time,
coming to church, and being awesome, but hasn't been baptized yet. I
met her and immediately LOVED her. This week we taught the Word of
Wisdom and Law of Chastity and she's doing really well. She is from
Laos and I just felt like she's super ready for the gospel. She's
getting baptized this Saturday at 3:00 pm!!!!!

Another couple has been meeting with missionaries for a while and the
woman feels reallly strong. I can tell that she's gaining a strong
testimony. The husband is working on overcoming smoking. He's gone a
few weeks without it and he's going through packs of gum like it's
going out of style, but he's hanging in there. Both the husband and
wife are scheduled to be baptized this Saturday at 5:00 pm! Last night
we had an intense lesson about the Law of Chastity and it took a
totally different turn than I was expecting. Their son is gay and the
mom was kind of offended by the part about marriage between a man and
a woman because of her son. We had to be really careful about being
senstive to the subject. I could feel the Spirit and by the time we
left, I felt like things were ok. We're going to visit them tonight
and plan to see them every night this week. I realize how difficult it
is for someone to stop smoking and to take on a whole new lifestyle.
It's HARD! And I admire these people sooooo much!

This week we started teaching two sisters that have lived in the same
house since they were born. Their mother passed away last year and
they've stayed there the whole time. These sisters are in their 60's
probably. They are INCREDIBLE!!!!! Yesterday, they came to church for
the first time in their entire lives!!!!!! It was so amazing to see
them sitting in the congregation at church, listening intently and
taking it all in. When I look at Gabrielle, I see her as a leader in
Young Womens. I see so much potential in here.
Another man, in his 60's lost his wife a few months ago. She was a
less active member of the Church, and he'd never had anything to do
with religion. This week we were tracting and found him at his house.
He is SOOOO humble and prepared. Yesterday, we went to teach him the
Plan of Salvation and the Spirit was SOOOOO strong. That was the first
time that I've seen someone so prepared to listen and truly needed
healing. He was totally receptive to everything and he said that he
feels something peaceful when we come. It was absolutely INCREDIBLE.
It is amazing how the Lord prepares people.

The ward is absolutely GREAT! We've had several members present in
lessons and they contribute SO much to the lessons. They share
personal experiences and their testimonies. I feel so much strength
here. The Bishop is phenominal and I absolutely admire him so much.

Yesterday, church was insane. We had about 10 investigators and other
people we are meeting with at Sacrament meeting, and we were busy
introducing them to members and making sure everyone felt welcome and
had a place to sit. I LOVED IT. I absolutely LOVED it.

I recognize that Heavenly Father's plan really, truly is PERFECT. I am
busy studying for investigators during my personal study time. If I
hadn't been in Nauvoo for six months and had the situations that I
did, I know that I would not be ready for the work here. Because I had
so much time to study and prepare, I learned the scriptures better and
I am able to use them in teaching. But I know that came from my time
in Nauvoo. Since I've been in California, it has been GO, go, GO. I am
so grateful that people are prepared and I'm so grateful for the
people here, my good companions, and to be a missionary. I absolutely
LOVE this work and I love this area.

I know without a doubt that Heavnenly Father's plan really is perfect.
He knows us perfectly and if we will submit our will to His will, we
will be blessed beyond our comprehension. I know that He hears our
prayers. He loves us perfectly. We need to do evereything within our
power to become who He intends for us to become by listening to the
promptings of the Spirit.

This is the Lord's work and this is His kingdom on the earth. I know
that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the all mankind, and
especially that He is my Savior. Without Him, I am nothing. I LOVE
BEING A MISSIONARY. I LOVE THE PEOPLE OF CALIFORNIA. I am so grateful
for my family at home and for my family in Nauvoo. I would not be here
today if it weren't for my dear friends and family. I LOVE YOU!

Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger

P.S. The picture is of President and Sister Weston. I LOVE, love, love them

No comments:

Post a Comment