"Charity Never Faileth"

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sister Ripplinger's Weekly Letter, October 1, 2012


Sent: Monday, October 1, 2012 10:47 AM
Subject: ♥ Farewell Nauvoo ♥

My dear friends and family,

Starting next week, here is my new mission home address:
Sister Heather Ripplinger
8583 Watt Avenue
Antelope, California
95843-9117
I'll let you know when I am assigned to a specific city! 

This week, I have been thoroughly enjoying the spirit of Nauvoo and have been soaking up these precious experiences. On Tuesday, Sister Christensen and I went to the Nauvoo Groves for our personal and companionship study. Yesterday, we were assigned to serve in Carthage Jail for the afternoon. We had a little bit of time when it was slow, so we went up to the Martyrdom Room. I sat right next to the window that Joseph Smith fell from and read D&C 135. It is absolutely incredible to be in the very place that I am reading about.  Sometimes reality hits me and I can't believe that I am in NAUVOO... I'm in the very places that Joseph Smith-the PROPHET was!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! 

I was in the VC and a lady walked in that I really felt like I needed to talk with. I briefly spoke with her when she walked in, but she kept going because she wanted to look around. I just kinda shrugged to myself and waited patiently. =) A few minutes later, she walked back over to me and asked if she could ask me a few questions. She felt really peaceful around Nauvoo, she loved that we had a big statue of Christ in our building, and she wanted to know about that big, white building on the hill. I smiled and we started talking. I love to use the temple pamphlet because it has pictures of the different rooms in the temple. The Nauvoo Temple has several different rooms and they are labeled in the pamphlet as Creation, Garden, World, and Celestial Rooms. As I looked into this lady's eyes, I could see that she was seeking more knowledge than just the history of Nauvoo. So I explained how the temple is symbolic, or that everything represents something. I basically taught the Plan of Salvation for about 30 minutes, right there in the Visitor's Center. I placed great emphasis in the fact that everything in temple points us to Christ.  When we finished with the picture of the Celestial room, she looked at me with bright, shining eyes and said, "My dear, I came here wanting to know more than just the history of this town. I wanted to know what you guys were all about. I have to tell you that I am pleased beyond measure with what I've found. I believe everything that you believe. I know that I existed before I came here, I know that families are crucial in God's plan, and I know that we can return to God's presence if we follow Christ. You people truly are trying to follow Christ. Now tell me, what is this book that you all read? The Book of M....what is it?" I smiled and briefly explained what the Book of Mormon is. She was just glowing and asked where she could find a copy of it. I explained that there are missionaries all over the world and that two missionaries could come to her home, bring her a copy of the Book of Mormon, and explain more about what we believe. She looked at me, a little hesitant, and asked if she could maybe just get a copy from a library or something. My heart panicked a little, "Oh no!!! I NEED to get the missionaries to her! She is prepared!!!!" Then the Spirit pushed me. I responded, "You could borrow one from a library. However, I feel very strongly that you will want your own copy. These missionaries are young people, like me, that want to talk with you more about Christ's Church on the earth." I felt this deep sense of urgency when I spoke and looked into her eyes. She looked right into my eyes and responded, "Ok, I feel like this is important, too. When can they come to my house?" This truly is the Lord's work. 

Sister Zibetti and I were on exchanges together this week and went to teach one of the senior couples. We were walking along the sidewalk, when I looked over and thought, "Oh hey! Look! There is a huge snake!" All the sudden, I jumped three feet in the air and yelled to Sister Zibetti, "AH!!! There's a HUGE snake!!!!" We bolted like lightning back to the car and one of the senior elders came out to save us. hahaha He took a lawn mower and was rolling over the snake. The HUGE, big, fat, ugly snake coiled up and started striking at the lawn mower. That is the first snake I've seen in Nauvoo and oh goodness, I am so grateful! It was HUGE!!!!!!

At this point in time, we are going back through the Pageant referrals that we couldn't contact earlier. I had a miracle happen that was really neat. This one card for a Kelsey had been called several times. When I dialed it, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to contact her. So I immediately called the member's number. Corinne answers and tells me that Kelsey is actually right next to her, and Kelsey's phone only gets texts. I spoke with Kelsey right there and it turns out that she had JUST moved to college and would LOVE to have missionaries come visit her. Her parents had not approved her going to church when she was living at home. So as soon as she turned 18, she moved out, and now she wants to have missionaries come!!!! Woohoo!!!

I was also able to serve in the Heber C. Kimball home this week with Sister Call. I LOVE THAT WOMAN. I really kinda felt like I had died and gone to heaven. We sat out on that lovely porch together and enjoyed a little breeze, the beautiful trees that are changing colors, and just talked and talked all day long. We took a few tours, but for the most part, I think Heavenly Father let me have that beautiful experience before I leave Nauvoo. Sister and Elder Call went to Israel, Egypt, and Jordan two years ago, so I LOVED talking with her about those experiences. I feel so incredibly blessed to have been able to visit those places and to have someone else that has experiences those same things. =) Thus, I am just a really happy sister missionary. 

One man that didn't seem particularly fond of Mormons came up to me in the Visitor's Center and asked if I was one of them Mormons. When I said that I was, he asked if I was also going to Brigham Young (referring to BYU). I smiled and said that I was. He chuckled under his breath and said, "Ya, I thought so. You're just like I thought. One of them Mormons that go to Brigham Young. Well, ya know what? If you Mormons knew anything about your prophets, you'd know that all of them, except Joseph, went to the University of Utah. You ever thought of that? It's the school of your prophets! So why don't ya go there???" I smiled and replied, "Well, I'm never going to be a prophet, myself, so I'll stick with BYU." He muttered under his breath and walked away. I guess he isn't a big fan of BYU. =) Oh well! haha I LOVE BYU!!!!!!!

The General Relief Society Broadcast was AMAZING!!!!!! My prayers have been very specific this summer and during the last few weeks, I've been praying for specific things from General Conference. In the RS meeting alone, I have already received several answers to prayer. What is neat is that a lot of the answers came from things that the Spirit taught me, and some were word for word what they said. The leaders of the Church truly are inspired and servants of the Lord. They are pure and good, so the Spirit can work through them to teach us. I am SOOOOOOO excited for General Conference!!!! It's crazy to think that in April, I was in the Conference Center as part of a missionary choir. I will NEVER forget that experience. Now I'm in NAUVOO!!!!!!!! This has gotta be the good life. =)

This is my last email from Nauvoo, the BEAUTIFUL. With a grateful heart, I look back at what I have learned and experienced here. I have learned many things.
Next week, I will be in CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D We get to go to the temple with President and Sister Gilliland one more time right before we leave, then we leave Nauvoo early Tuesday morning for the airport!!! I've been praying to have missionary opportunities while I travel, so I'll be excited to report what happens! =D My hearts is bursting with rapturous joy as I think about hopping into an airplane again and adventuring into the unknown. I have no idea who my companion will be, or if I'll be in a trio for a little while. I don't know what the face looks like that will be greeting me at the airport in CA. I don't know how many interstates will be looping around each other or how many cows might be in the field. =D haha I feel so full of faith and I really am so excited!!!!!!!  I'm just excited to meet the people and get to work!!! I have been praying for these people all summer and I already feel a deep sense of love for them. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father is sending me to California. Here we go!!!!! =D

♥ Farewell, Nauvoo! ♥

Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment