"Charity Never Faileth"

Monday, December 24, 2012

Sister Ripplinger's Weekly Letter, December 24, 2012



From: Heather Ripplinger <heather.ripplinger@myldsmail.net>
To: Nikki Ripplinger <bnripp@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 12:26 PM
Subject: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Dear family and friends,

This week was really, really good and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I am so grateful for all of you at home and I am so grateful for all of the ward members here. I truly feel the Spirit of Christmas and I am so grateful to be a missionary right now!!!!

P.S. Make sure you read the paragraph about the family history.....

There is a family in the ward that LOVES milk....and I love them for it. haha! Every time we go over there for dinner, we go through a full gallon of milk. (Between their two teenage boys and myself,  the milk goes quickly.) This week, for their Christmas present, I bought a gallon of milk, stuck a big bow on it, and then we snuck up to the door, rang the door bell, and ran away. They tried to find us, but we were hiding well enough that they couldn't figure out where we were. Of course, it was somewhat difficult to dart back to the car in our skirts, but we made it!!!! haha! 

We had a very interesting experience this week that I would like to share! One morning after our district had gone caroling at a senior living center, we all went out to different places to get lunch, and were planning on taking it back to the church to eat. Usually, we all drive in by a different side of the church, but this time Sister Nelson and I came in the other way. As we pulled in, we saw a woman who was hunched over in a ball on the curb. I felt like we needed to go talk with her, so we took our food into the church, then went back out to talk to her. As I walked up toward her, I asked if everything was ok. She looked up at me with huge alligator tears streaming down her face and said, "My son is gone. He died and he is....gone."  I sat down next to her on the curb and she just fell over into my lap and cried and cried. I could feel the Spirit really strongly and felt prompted to ask her if she would like a Priesthood blessing. I very briefly explained what it was and she anxiously accepted through her tears. (She is not a member of the church,  but said that she felt safe on the property and had been there for a few hours). We got the elders and they gave her a blessing. The blessing was very, very tender and the elder giving the blessing said some very profound things, even though he had no idea about her son. Sister Nelson and I sat there holding this woman's hands as she cried and the elders stood around us like protective brothers. They all had very concerned faces as she kept saying, "I don't want to do this anymore. I don't even want to live anymore." We talked with her and were able to testify of the Plan of Salvation. At one point, she said, "God doesn't even know me. Why should I even try to keep going?" I had her look into my eyes and I felt the Spirit really strongly as I said to her, "Heavenly Father does love you." It was one of those moments when the room was completely silent, we all got goosebumps, the Spirit pricked our hearts, and the feeling in the room was so strong. Her eyes were locked on mine as she responded, "I'm going to be ok. I thank God that you all found me and took time to help me. I can feel something powerful right now. I know that God loves me." I was so grateful that we didn't ignore the prompting to go talk to her. I could feel the Spirit burning inside of me and I know with all of my heart that Heavnly Father really does know us. 

While in Nauvoo, I bought this little plastic liahona that looks like the one in the pictures with Lehi and his family in the wilderness. I kind of, sort of LOVE it and brought it clear over to California with me. When we go to dinner with young families, I like to use it in our spiritual thought before we leave. Usually, I will ask the kids if they have ever gone camping. Their eyes light up and they tell us an exotic story about how they have and they even got lost once. They go on to tell how scared their parents were, but they knew that everything would be ok. After their awesome stories, I reach into my bag, say, "I bet that wouldn't have happened if you would have had.....THIS!!!!!" I quickly whip out the liahona, holding it up like it is the most prized possession in the world. The kids' eyes light up and little grins spread across their faces. But the best part is that the parents lean forward on their seats and sound, "oooooooooh!!!!" hahahahaha I love to see the responses of the parents. Typically they shout, "Wow! Look at that!!!!" or "Whoa!!!! That's a LIAHONA!!!!!" Everyone wants to take a turn holding it. Inside, it changes phrases like "Let the Holy Spirit guide" or "Follow the Prophet". It's pretty cool. Typically, I keep it in the drink holder in our car and all of the missionaries flip out when they see a liahona in our front seat. 

This week, we had our mission's Christmas Conference. We had a big, musical program first, then we did a service project. I accompanied Sister Nelson as she played the bassoon and we did "Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem." Then I accompanied four of our elders as they sang "Away in A Manger". All of the numbers were beautiful and it was so much fun to be surrounded by so many missionaries. I LOVED it. Then we went out to do a huge service project for the community. We all wore vests that said "Mormon Helping Hands" and it was soooo cool to see all of the missionaries digging in the bark, planting trees, etc. It was raining the whole time and it made it that much more fun. We were slipping around in the mud and shoveling the wet bark. Everyone was happy to be outside digging in the dirt. It was GREAT!!!! We got it done pretty quickly and then took a big, group picture of us all. I LOVE being a missionary. 

Something else that is SUPER COOL!!!!!! A man that we are teaching named Gerald, is a HUGE family history man. He is in his 60's and he is the president of a local group. We've been so worried about teaching him the gospel, that we took little interest in all of his family history stories. We finally slowed down enough to ask more about his family history and I felt the Spirit prompt me to ask about taking his family names to the temple. I wasn't sure how he would respond, but I felt like I should ask. His eyes lit up after I explained baptisms for the dead and temple work briefly. He immediately jumped up and went over to a pile of books and papers. He came back and unfolded a giant sheet of paper. It was a HUGE family tree, different and bigger than any I have ever seen. I gasped in shock as he held it up proudly. Without me even asking, he proudly stated, "There are 4, 500 individuals on here. I have all of their birth and death dates, as well as parents names." Excuse the improper language, but HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just stared at the paper, then back at him. He responded, "You are impressed, aren't you!? haha I thought you would be excited about this." Oh my goodness!!!!!! He said that we could take all of his family names to the temple. All 4, 500 of them.

I feel so blessed to be serving in this area. Words cannot even express how much I love it. The people here are SO good to us. 
Tonight, we are going caroling with the elders in our zone and tomorrow I get to talk to my family!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! It is Christmas time!!!!!!!!!! I have realized that so more than I want presents, I really just want to be with people. I am so grateful to be part of a wonderful zone of missionaries, a wonderful ward, and to be here. I love it. Yesterday, we visited a family and I was able to play the piano as all nine of their kids and the parents huddled around my companion and I as we sang Christmas songs. It reminded me of my family and it made me sooooo happy. I just LOVE CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!!!!!! 

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good Christmas EVE!!!!!!! 

Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger

No comments:

Post a Comment