"Charity Never Faileth"

Friday, April 12, 2013

Sister Ripplinger's Letter, Traveling the World, April 12, 2013


Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 10:46 AM
Subject: Traveling the Country

My dear friends and family,

I'm going to send a few emails with pictures from the last month..... (we are only attaching 2)

I am officially in the beautiful place, NAUVOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The last few days have been full of the Spirit and also full speed ahead. 

Wednesday morning, I left my precious Sister Benally in Loomis at 4:00am. President and Sister Alston ( in mission presidency) drove me to the Sacramento Airport and off I went. I made it through security just fine and right onto my plane. We were scheduled for a three hour flight to Dallas, but that turned into quite the adventure!!! As we were getting close to Dallas, there was a huge storm and the airport closed down. So, we circled around in the sky for a little while and were about to run out of gas, so we had to make an emergency landing into Louisiana. 

There we waited for about 1 1/2 hours to refuel and for the storm to settle down in Texas. Finally, we headed back to Dallas and again, had to use some time in the air because they weren't ready for us to land yet. At this point, I had completely missed my flight connecting for St. Louis. So I jumped off that plane and ran for the desk. Heavenly Father provided the way and I was able to catch a different connecting flight....which was taking off in ten minutes. So I sprinted to the other end of the airport and caught the plane about three minutes before it started backing out. 

I sat down in my seat with this funny little smile, thinking, "Well.... I made it!!!!!! There's got to be some reason why I'm on this flight, instead...." I looked over at the man sitting next to me, probably in his 40's, and I could feel the Spirit. This is the guy!!!!! In the meantime, the pilot stopped the plane and announced that an emergency light had come on and we would have to delay the flight for maintenance. So we waited on the plane for about an hour before we got up into the air. Anyways, this man and I  immediately started talking and I discovered that he was from NORWAY!!!!! He was on a business trip! We were talking about his family and somehow got into religion. He was saying that his family is Lutheran because that is kind of the traditional religion over there. Then he started asking me about our church. I was able to testify of families, the temple, and the Book of Mormon. We were talking for a few hours and then he went to use the restroom. In about 30 seconds, I fell asleep...before he got back. I was tired!!!!! haha 

I slept for about 45 minutes and then woke up when they announced that we would be landing soon. As I woke up, he asked how my nap was, then immediately started asking more about the Church! As we were talking, he reached in his pocket and pulled out his business card. On the back, he had written me a note saying that he would like me to call him later in the week once I got settled in my new area and to teach him more about the Church!!!!!!!! I smiled and said that I'd love to! I was kind of shocked that I hadn't even had to ask if he would like to learn more! I had taught a little, then fallen asleep on the job, and HE asked ME if he could learn more!!!!! We parted ways in the St. Louis airport, and I just knew that he was the reason why all of the storms and maintenance problems had to happen! 

So I arrive at the St. Louis airport and walk toward the luggage pick up, expecting to see President and Sister Gilliland and a bunch of my other Nauvoo sisters....but there was no one around! haha (I had borrowed cell phones throughout the day to keep President updated on my location and any news I had about when I would be arriving, so he knew which gate I would be coming from). I looked around, and didn't see anyone, so I just laughed and figured I should probably go find my luggage. I was hoping that in all of the flight switches and delays and everything, that my luggage would arrive around the same time that I did.... As I was waiting by the luggage pick up, looking for my suitcases, I saw President Gilliland with a few other sisters frantically walking behind him, on the opposite side of the area. I got a great, big smile because I was so happy to see them and shouted, "Hey, look!!!! Missionaries!!!!!" They all turned, saw me, and the sisters started running toward me. It was soooooo good to see a few of my dear friends that I love so much. It was like we had never been apart. We all hugged each other and then President Gilliland stretched out his hand and said, "Welcome home." Ahhhh!!!!! It felt so good!!!!!! 

As soon as I arrived in St. Louis, President took Sister Zibetti and I aside and asked us to serve as the Assistants to the President for the rest of summer. He said that he had been praying that the Lord would let us know in advance so that we wouldn't be in shock and that we would be ready to jump right into everything because President would be leaving the next day for the weekend to attend a mission president conference. (Our Heather did know this call would come, before she left Nauvoo in the spring)  On the drive to Nauvoo, he would be giving us all the information about the next week and everything. WELCOME HOME, indeed!!!!!! haha

 I looked at Sister Zibetti and just smiled. I absolutely LOVE her and I am so excited to serve with her. This summer is going to be CRAZY!!!!! 

Apparently, everyone had a crazy day. All of the new sisters had arrived from the MTC on time, but most of the rest of us returning sisters had a bunch of problems. A few of the sisters had ended up in the same airport to fly to St. Louis and got caught up talking with each other, and they totally missed their flight!!!! hahahaha The merciful Lord provided a way for them to get another flight and still get to St. Louis. 

A few of us had flight changes and delays due to weather. They said that the tornado alarms were going off in the airport right while all of us were supposed to be landing. The new sisters were going to try and head to Nauvoo in a separate van so they could get home at a decent hour, but the drivers were afraid to get caught in a tornado because the sky looked so bad. hahahaha Eventually, the new sisters and a few returning sisters finally got on the road with some of the Presidency and another senior couple. There were six of us that didn't get into St. Louis until late evening. We stopped at Golden Corral for a quick dinner, and then we were on the road home. It was pouring rain and thunder the whole way. President Gilliland gave us all the information and everything we would need to do during the next few days. Bring it on!!!!!  We stayed in a different house than everyone else that night and got there at about 11:30 pm. We were all passed out asleep by midnight because we were exhausted. 

We had breakfast at President's house at 8:00 am, the companionships were announced, and then the Gillilands were off for their conference! One of the most exciting moments of the last few days was when I got to see President and Sister Call, as well as President and Sister Grygla. I loved them last summer, and now they are in the mission presidency, so I will have the opportunity to serve with them all summer long!!!!!!!!! My heart just boomed with joy when I saw them. We've been working as a team the last few days, getting the new sisters debit cards, their contact info, going over driving records, assigning designated drivers, creating the site schedules for the sisters, getting everyone moved out to Carthage that has been assigned there for the transfer, going over the Visitor Center displays, riding the carriage, watching the Joseph Smith movie, getting all the sisters their site dresses, assigning rooms, preparation days, fridges, and everything else. Oh yes, and because there are so many new sisters, Sister Zibetti and I are TRAINING new missionaries, as well. We will have to balance our assistant assignments with training. My new companion is Sister Mills and she is so cute!!!!! I'm excited to serve with her!!!!!! 

Last night, we were all supposed to head back to the main house to load up Carthage sisters suitcases, and get the rest of us (who got back late Wedsneday night) moved into the main house. We had everything loaded in the van and trailer and the senior couple took off for the main house. The five sisters and I loaded into our own van to drive over and the car wouldn't start!!!!!!!!!! We said a prayer and it just wouldn't start. The house is about a mile down the road. I laughed out loud. It was like 9:00 at night, freezing cold, and we were stranded. I asked which one of them was in really good shape, and then Sister Dransfield and I started running down the road to get help. So we are running in our dresses, long coats, and sister missionary shoes. hahahahaha 

We laughed the whole way there and I think we had angels carry us half the way because we made really good time. As soon as we got to the house, we told the senior couples that we needed help and they left to go get the other sisters. Sister Dransfield and I plopped on the couches. We just laughed and realized that we both felt like we might throw up because we ran so hard. Then the other sisters told us we had received mail and we were fine. haha Eventually, everyone that needed to get to Carthage got there and everyone else made it safely home to the Hatch House. I am so grateful for the senior couples and the Presidency members.... they help us so much!!!!!! 

Today we get to attend the TEMPLE, go grocery shopping in Keokuk (over the river), and we get to watch Rendezveous tonight. I LOVE preparation days!!!!! So from now on....well for this transfer, unless something drastic happens, which it may.... I will be emailing on TUESDAYS. 
I am just really grateful for the SPIRIT and that the Lord is in charge..... I have been loving the last few days! I'm so excited to be back in Nauvoo!!!!!! I was thinking about what heaven will be like... I was apart from my Nauvoo family for six months, and when I saw them again, it was like we had never been apart. I think that's what heaven will be like. The people that you love will just be so close still. I LOVE THE GOSPEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mailing address is:
P.O. Box 215 
Nauvoo, Illinois 62354

Have a wonderful week-end!!!!! 
Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger
Steve's Baptism in Loomis, CA
Sister Ripplinger trained Sister Benally, who is now going to train this new Sister, Heather called her the grand-daughter.

Sister Ripplinger and Sister Benally before they parted in Loomis, CA
Veronica's Baptism in Loomis, CA
Pat's Baptism in Loomis, CA



No comments:

Post a Comment