"Charity Never Faileth"

Monday, April 8, 2013

Sister Ripplinger's Weekly Email Letter, April 1, 2013

Sent: Monday, April 1, 2013 5:01 PM
Subject: The Final Stretch

My dear friends and family,

It's the final stretch in California and I can't believe it. These last few weeks have been so incredibly miraculous and I'm about to kill over. Whenever people have really strong spiritual experiences in the scriptures, it seems like they fall over to the ground and sleep for a few days, but I'm not going to be able to stop yet. The Atonement has been a crucial part of my life lately, in the strengthening aspect. I feel the Spirit so strongly and I am just giving it everything I've got. 

Transfers happen this week. My dear Sister Benally is going to train a new missionary. I know that she is kind of nervous to train already, but I know that she is perfectly capable and she will continue the miracles in Loomis. I'm so proud of her and I love her with all of my heart.

This weekend, our precious Steve was baptized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was one of the most incredible weekends of my entire mission. The last few weeks, we were doing everything within our power, praying for him, we put his name in the temple, we text him throughout the day to strengthen him and help him live the Word of Wisdom. He would text us back that he was smoke free and grumpy as heck. He told us that black licorice helps him, so we went to the store and bought a ton of black licorice. He made it, he is strong. Friday evening, he thought that his daughter who lives 3 hours away wasn't going to have a ride up for the baptism, so he started to drive down at 9pm. A miracle happened and she was able to get a ride with a few other people from that area. Saturday morning, we got everything ready for the baptism. When we first started meeting with Steve, he didn't want anyone at his baptism. However, with time, he has opened his heart to many ward members. The room was completely packed for his baptism. When he walked down into the font, he looked so peaceful. When he was baptized, he came up out of the water and was perfectly still. After a moment, a huge smile came across his face, then he turned toward all of us and smiled. He looked so pure and happy. The next day when he was confirmed in Sacrament meeting, the Spirit was very strong. He is absolutely incredible. Sister Benally and I had the priviledge of teaching him right from the start and now he's on the path to the temple. 

Veronica has been waiting and praying for the opportunity to be baptized. About two months ago, I had the distinct impression that we needed to meet with her four to five times a week, doing formal lessons and helping her feel the Spirit. The chances that everything would work out well for their family were very slim, but we didn't want to give up hope. Then one day, we received a text that she was going to be able to get married!!!!!!! THIS WEEK VERONICA GOT MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her baptism is this week. I can hardly believe that it is finally working out. Miracles absolutely happen. She received a Priesthood blessing from a very special member of our ward that is serving in the temple presidency. Oh my goodness. I felt like the heavens split open. I am so incredibly excited to see what happens in Veronica's life. She is going to be a VERY powerful instrument in God's hands.

That man that we've been working with for six months and wouldn't budge, came to church last week! About five months ago, I wanted to drop him. I had no patience for him because he wasn't progressing at all. But we should never drop an investigator, unless THEY tell us not to come back. But we will never give up hope on anyone because God never gives up on us. We kept praying and working and trying every option we could think of. We went through several ward members, trying to find the right one. Then we found the one. Since then, miracles have been happening. We invited him to Steve's baptism and HE CAME!!!!!! Then he came to church the next day, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been very humbling for me to work with this 66 year old man. At first, I was frustrated and hated meeting with him. But I kept pleading for charity and to see him like Heavenly Father sees him. With time, my heart has grown and I've come to love him. When I look at him, I feel like I can feel a little bit of the love that God has for him. He has come so far, but it is because of the Spirit and Heavenly Father's plan. 

Another man that we've been working with in a part member family, I absolutely LOVE. We went to a baptism with this family and it was a wonderful experience. He came to church twice in a row and wants us to come back frequently. I have been giving that man everything I've got. 

There are so many others that we are working with it is just a miracle. The Lord has blessed us with opportunities to work and to teach. We have had experiences to push ourselves and to also enjoy the precious moments. This week I was able to attend the Sacramento Temple one last time. As I was in the session, I kept imagining the moment when I would walk into the Celestial room and see President and Sister Weston. I was anxiously waiting for that moment. When I finally went into the Celestial room, the room was brilliantly light and there they were, standing hand in hand, smiling across the room. That moment hit me hard. I thought about later along in the journey when I'll get to see them in the Celestial Kingdom. Those two have absolutely changed my life forever. I know that serving with them is part of my eternal progression and they taught me by their examples. They are the perfect examples of charity and love. I have thought about all of the people we meet in our lives. I firmly believe that the more people we love, the better heaven will be. 

In Sacrament meeting yesterday, I was asked to stand and bear my testimony because I would be leaving. I looked out at my precious Loomis 3rd Ward and felt such a powerful feeling of love come over me. I have been among these people for six months and I've given it all I had. I've done the best I could. I love these people with all of my heart. During the closing song, I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't sing because I choked up in tears. Tears began to pour down my face and then the closing prayer came. The man prayed specifically for me. As he said amen, I leaned down with my elbows on my knees, face in my hands, and I just cried. Sister Barry (one of my favorite people) leaned over and wrapped her arms around me as I cried. Several ward members came over and gave me a good-bye hug. Oh, how I love these people. 

Perhaps the most difficult thing for me to do is leaving my precious companion, Sister Benally. I am trying to be tough and just work and enjoy every last second. But deep down, I just don't want to say good-bye. I find comfort in knowing that I taught her everything I could. We have worked our hearts out together and been through the thick and the thin. We've done our best to represent the Savior and to help people along the path.  Before I picked her up at the mission office back in January, I received a Priesthood blessing that said I would be training a trainer. I kept that in mind over the last 12 weeks and I've done my very best to teach her everything I know. She is ready. She is going to train a new missionary after being out in the field for 3 months. 

I fly out of Sacramento next Wednesda, April 10. But there is still work to finish here this week. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve in California. I've been changed forever. And I look forward to serving in Nauvoo again. I know that there is much to do still. But I have to focus on one thing at a time. =) I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger

No comments:

Post a Comment