"Charity Never Faileth"

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Lord's Work, Sister Heather Ripplinger's Weekly Email, March 18, 2013


Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 12:45 PM
Subject: The Lord's Work

My dear friends and family,

In my family's email this morning, they described this terrible blizzard in Idaho. I feel sorry for all ya'll in the artic tundra! Hang in there!!!!!! haha! On Saturday, Sister Benally and I were outside all day and I'm working on my sun tan. Hopefully everyone else will get a little bit of the California sun coming their way....

This week has been really wonderful. One of our investigators is scheduled to be baptized in two weeks and it is really, really challenging for him to live the Word of Wisdom. HE IS LIVING IT, but it is incredibly difficult for him. We are calling, texting, and having lessons every single day to help him keep the Spirit really strong in his life. Sometimes it is hourly texts of encouragement and he updates us, "Still smoke-free"....."still smoke-free".... It is almost like we can feel what he is going through. This is helping me understand how difficult it really is to over come addictions. These people have so much faith!!!! They are changing their entire life-style and preparing to receive the saving ordinances. This man is doing everything within his power and he is praying like crazy. It is so rewarding to see his faith increasing as he realizes that, with the Savior, he can make it. He can keep the commandments. We are so proud of him!!!!!!!

We have been working with a family in the ward and this week, the youngest son was baptized!!!!!!! It was such a sweet experience to watch his dad baptize him and to see all of the ward support there. His grandpa gave a wonderful talk about the Holy Ghost and it was such a blessing to be in that room. The Gospel really does bless families!!!!

This week was kind of challenging and so I asked for a Priesthood blessing from some elders in our district. I was trying to fight off a sickness and was not willing to give up any time to be laying in bed. I know that the elder who spoke was VERY inspired and said exactly what I needed to hear from Heavenly Father. One part really stood out to me and said that there are specific people that I need to findbefore I leave California. I felt the Spirit really strongly and that got me all pumped up to find those people. 

We immediately went out to find this less active member and his friend that he's been wanting to introduce us to. We went to where they were sitting for lunch about an hour earlier, but they were gone. We were standing there in the parking lot and I saw Sister Benally look over toward this group of young people standing by the bus stop. She quickly looked away and I had the distinct impression come to my mind. "Pay attention to what she says AS WELL as what she DOES." I immediately asked her what she was thinking. She responded, "Nothing." Then she looked over at the people again. I looked at her big, brown eyes and asked again. She
responded, "Nothing!" as she started to climb into the car. The Spiritwas strong at that moment and I wasn't quite sure what we were supposed to do, but I popped the trunk of our car and reached in for some pass-along cards so we could talk to the big group. I shut the trunk and Sister Benally looked at me with this terrified look, then took off toward the bus stop. 

I smiled to myself and followed her. As we walked up toward the group, I was praying that we would know what to say and who to talk with. Immediately, one lady with a baby shouts, "I'M ATHIEST!!!!!" Sister Benally started asking about her baby and the lady just opened right up and started talking about what had happened in her life. At one point, she said that she believed in God, but because so many bad things happened, she couldn't believe He was there. We were able to testify and she agreed to meet with us again. MIRACLE!!!!!

Right after that experience, we went tracting and we found two other people that we were able to teach a brief lesson and they agreed to meet with us at the Church and to learn more. MIRACLES!!!!!!!!!!

One evening, we were tracting and walking along the street on the way back to our car. The weather was perfect and the sun was setting. It was absolutely beautiful. I looked over at my precious companion and just thought, "This has gotta be the good life." I feel so blessed.

This week, the ward youth went to the temple and took the family names of one of our investigators. There are about 60 individuals that are waiting for their temple work to be completed. It was an absolute miracle that the man allowed his family names to be done, that he had so much work already connected, and that the youth were able to be part of it all. The young women went over to his house about two weeks ago and we are trying to help the family situation improve. MIRACLES!!!!

Yesterday in Relief Society, they announced Veronica's baptism and several of the women gasped and began to cry. It has been a long wait, full of support and love from so many ward members. It made me step back and look at the big picture. So many miracles have taken place and I have to appreciate every single one. It is an absolutely huge miracle that she is getting married next week and will then be baptized.

I absolutely love this work. I love this time to serve as a missionary. I am so grateful for Sister Benally and for the great strength that she has. We have grown so close together and I love her lots and lots. She's not just a companion, but she's one of my best friends. We cherish every moment-the times when we jump for joy and
the times when we are praying on our knees for help. The Savior is right here with us and I feel the Spirit working within the people we teach and interact with. This is the Lord's work. This is His kingdom on the earth. What a blessing to be alive. I love the Gospel!!!!!!!

Love,
Sister Heather Ripplinger

No comments:

Post a Comment